Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Reminiscing on my "Carb Goggles"

While talking to a friend of mine about how great I feel eating clean and reminiscing on my past diet, I got to thinking... I wonder how many calories a day I was eating before this lifestyle change and how different my macros were. I decided to go on dailyburn.com and log a typical day of eating before I started training. OH.. MY.. GOSH! This was so incredibly eye opening. I always considered myself "skinny fat" but boasted that I could eat what I wanted and still maintain about the same weight. I had no idea the damage I was doing to my body and at that rate there was no way I was not going to pack on the pounds. I even found a picture of me in a bikini in my "skinny fat" stage. The funny thing is, when I looked at that picture when it was taken, I thought I looked GREAT! I remember posting it to my facebook proudly, I must have had CARB GOGGLES on. I had no absolutely no tone, no abs, and secret self-esteem issues. Eating clean and working out has transformed me into a lean, healthy, and confident woman!

My current goal macros per day compared to what I was consuming prior to competition prep:
Clean Eating
Calories-1300
Fat-30g
Protein-100g
Carbs-158g

Prior to Clean Eating
Calories-2833-3000
Fat-100g
Protein-130g
Carbs-375g

Wow- like I said, it was bad. And to be terribly honest, this is an understatement of what I was eating and only included main meals and not snacks. As you can see I was eating minimal protein in comparison to the monstrous amount of carbs and fat I was consuming. Typically I ate a bagel with sausage & cheese for breakfast (not always the works but typically a bagel and this is NOT counting when I have sausage biscuts and breakfast burritos from Mcdonalds for breakfast at work), a panera chicken sandwich and soup for lunch, & a french dip sandwich with fries for dinner. This also included ONE starbucks white chocolate mocha but I would oftentimes enjoy TWO of those in one day which would take my calories up by 500, fat by 14g and carbs by 80g. I can not imagine the days that you add In & Out to the list but as I said, I had "carb goggles" on. I knew it wasn't a great diet but I didn't know it was THAT bad. I don't think I could ever go back to that lifestyle and am so pleased with my current results and cant wait to see more in the next three months!

originally posted skinnyfatfitness.com